Innovation roars at The Health and Safety Event 2016 with new ‘Lions’ Lair’
16 February 2016
Like budding entrepreneurs showcasing the latest innovative products, services and concepts, 16 finalists will be pitching their ideas to a panel of industry experts and a live audience at The Health and Safety Event 2016 from 22nd to 24th March in a brand new ‘Lions’ Lair’.
Based loosely on a popular TV series, the ‘Lions’ Lair’ has been designed to encourage innovation in health and safety technology but also to provide an interactive session that allows visitors to see the latest in cutting edge products and services. A shortlist of 16 innovators will be quizzed by industry experts in four sessions over the first two days before the panel and live audience vote to decide on who should be crowned the ‘Lions’ Lair’ winner.
The four panelists for 22nd March are: John Cairns, chairman of Safety Groups UK; Liz Skelton, IOSH vice president; John Holt, director, health, safety and environment at Rolls-Royce Plc; and Nick Warburton, a safety industry specialist from Technical Publicity.
On 23rd March, the four panelists are: John Cairns, chairman of Safety Groups UK; Rob Strange, past CEO of both IOSH and the Association for Project Safety (APS) and a board level advisor with Southalls; Dr Tim Marsh, managing director of the consultancy RyderMarshSharman; and Steve Perkins, chief executive of the British Occupational Hygiene Society.
Renowned ex-England rugby international Rory Underwood, who will be speaking in the main conference theatre on the final morning, will present the prized ‘Lions’ Lair’ crown to the winner and a highly commended award to the three other finalists.
The eight finalists pitching their innovations on 22nd March are:
- Casella: Airwave App
- Safety Apps: Risk Assessor App
- Safety Media: Enterprise portal risk management software
- SoNQ: Compliance software
- 3M: 6000i series end of service life indicator filters
- Reactec: HAVWEAR, wrist mounted monitor
- Shawcity: Multi Gas Clip (MSC) personal gas monitor
- TSI Instruments: Environmental DustTrak Aerosol Monitor
The eight finalists pitching their innovations on 23rd March are:
- 3M: Scotchgard anti-fog coating for safety eyewear
- Bolle Safety: Silium+ safety eye shield
- D R Workwear: Embedded washable high intensity LED workwear range
- Scott Safety: First Base 3 baseball-style bump cap
- A-Safe: iFlex industrial barrier protection system
- Ejendals: FootStop Service digital foot scanner
- Fortress Distribution: Yuleys hands free, reusable shoe covers
- Oxford Safety Components: Insulated trellis mat safety platform
“‘The Lions’ Lair’ has been designed to encourage innovation but also to allow visitors to witness innovative products, services and concepts being pitched in a fun and interactive environment,” says Tim Else, events director.
“The level of entries this year was exceptional and settling on a list of 16 finalists was a huge challenge. We’d like to encourage visitors to come along for the four sessions and take part in what will be a highly entertaining showcase for the latest innovations in health and safety technology. Above all, we hope this new addition to The Health and Safety Event will make people more aware of the great leaps that are taking place within the industry and reinforce the theme of the entire exhibition, which is ‘3 days to save a life’.”
Free to attend, The Health and Safety Event is joined by co-located exhibitions – Maintec 2016 and Facilities Management 2016, ensuring that any visitor will maximise the time they spend attending the NEC.
The full seminar programme for the three-day event can be viewed online at:www.healthandsafetyevents.co.uk