Government pauses smart motorway rollout
12 January 2022
FOLLOWING THE recent Transport Committee report, government will pause the rollout of smart motorway schemes until 5 years' worth of safety data is available.
"Having carefully considered the committee’s report, I will be taking forward all of its recommendations. This includes the recommendation to pause the rollout of future ALR smart motorway schemes until a full 5 years’ worth of safety data is available.
"During the pause, we will continue to make sure all existing ALR smart motorways are equipped with best-in-class technology and resources and are as safe as they can possibly be."
The recommendations in the report are as follows:
- pause the conversion of dynamic hard shoulder smart motorways to ALRuntil the next Road Investment Strategy
- retrofit more emergency areas across existing ALR schemes
- conduct an independent evaluation of the effectiveness of stopped vehicle detection technology
- explore the introduction of the emergency corridor manoeuvre to the Highway Code
- investigate the benefits of health and safety assessments being undertaken by the Office of Rail and Road.