|Home>||Managing Health & Safety||>Safety Knives||>School fined after a pupil severely injured using a band saw|
School fined after a pupil severely injured using a band saw
08 July 2020
CARGILFIELD SCHOOL has been fined following the incident where a pupil sustained severe cuts to his middle and index finger on his right hand and serious tendon damage, when using a band saw.
Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard that, between 1 September 2015 and 2 November 2017, in the Construction Design and Technology Workshop at Cargilfield School, Edinburgh, pupils made wooden boxes using a band saw which is classed as a dangerous machine.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Cargilfield School failed to make a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risks arising out of or in connection with use of the band saw and failed to adequately supervise pupils while they were carrying out tasks using the band saw. The pupil was making a free hand cut on the band saw without adequate workpiece support and was not adequately supervised.
Cargilfield School of Gamekeepers Road, Edinburgh pleaded guilty to breaching Sections 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £3,350.
After the hearing, HSE inspector, Karen Moran said: “A band saw is considered a dangerous machine when used by adults, let alone children. This significant and very serious injury could have been prevented had the risk been identified and properly managed. All schools should take steps to ensure the safety of their pupils and HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”
- New guidance to tackle workplace killer
- GLA fined after wall collapses on man
- Fire Safety Scotland 2018 Preview
- Report gets ‘Under the Surface of Health and Safety’
- Workers memorial day to be officially recognised
- Fines for landfill companies that caused misery
- New member update: Monks & Crane
- Practitioner viewpoint - December 2018
- Tesco fined for health and safety violation
- Car wash workers put in electric shock risk