|Home>||Plant & Machinery||>Hand Arm Vibration||>Firm failed to control vibration risk|
Firm failed to control vibration risk
11 October 2022
TWO PARTNERS in a construction firm have been fined for failing to adequately control the risk to its employees from exposure to vibration when using vibrating tools.
Employees of Roywood Contractors worked at various construction sites using vibrating tools without adequate control. As a result, an employee who had been working at the company for 12 years suffered significant ill-health from hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS).
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that on or before the 15 January 2020 the company failed to adequately assess the risk to employees from exposure to vibration.
They did not have appropriate measures to control exposure or place employees under suitable health surveillance to monitor their condition.
Andrew Hatto and Paul Kiff, trading as Roywood Contractors, of Tilford Road, Tilford, Farnham, Surrey pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 6 (1) and 7 (1) of the Control of Vibration Regulations 2005. They were each fined £1,150 and ordered to pay costs of £3,500 each at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court on September 20.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Leah Sullivan said, “This was a case of the company completely failing to grasp the importance of hand-arm vibration syndrome health surveillance.
“If they had understood why health surveillance was necessary, it would have ensured that it had the right systems in place to monitor worker’s health and the employee’s condition would not have been allowed to develop to a severe and life altering stage.”
- Charity reminds workers to stay safe
- HSE checks Covid compliance in Bradford businesses
- Upcoming events
- Government publishes aviation COVID-19 guidance
- Record-breaking fine for Lincoln rogue landlord
- Respiratory protection and fit testing event
- High praise for IOSH course
- Company fined after worker trapped by falling scrap lead
- HSM workplace wellness webinar
- Company fined after worker loses fingers