|Home>||Plant & Machinery||>General Plant & Machinery||>Employee's hand injured in machinery|
|Home>||Plant & Machinery||>Machine Tools||>Employee's hand injured in machinery|
Employee's hand injured in machinery
05 October 2021
HARBRO LIMITED has been fined after an employee’s hand became entangled in a ‘Superbruiser’ mixing machine.
Banff Sheriff Court heard that on 2 November 2018, at Harbro’s Rosehall Depot, Turriff, Aberdeenshire, an employee put his right arm through the inspection hatch of the Superbruiser to feel along the edge of the rotating roller for embedded metal. The glove came off his hand which was caught between two rollers. The employee sustained crush injuries to his second, third and fourth fingers. Consequently, his middle finger was partially amputated and he was unable to work for approximately two and a half months.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Harbro Limited had failed to provide fixed or moveable guarding on the inspection hatch of the Superbruiser. This would have significantly reduced the risk of a machine operator reaching into the machine while the rollers were rotating.
Harbro Limited of Markethill Road, Turriff pleaded guilty to breaching The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, Regulations 11(1) and (2) and the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, Section 33(1)(c) and was fined a total of £12,000.
After the hearing, HSE inspector, Simon Dunford said: “This injury was easily preventable and the risk should have been identified.
“Employers should make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to minimise the risk from dangerous parts of machinery. The risks of undertaking such work are well known in the industry and it is disappointing that a safe system of work was not followed in this case.” en
- Team England urges workplaces to take up the sporting challenge
- Executive opinion - December 2020
- Illegal gas engineer sentenced for fraudulent gas work
- Workers found illegally living on construction site
- Contractor fined after employee falls from scaffolding
- Builder fined for unsafe asbestos removal
- Lives at risk due to lack of first aiders
- IIRSM launches risk management competence framework
- Care home worker fell down lift shaft
- Make your workplace bowel cancer aware