|Home>||Breathing Safely||>Dust and Fume Extraction||>Company fined after workers exposed to flour dust|
Company fined after workers exposed to flour dust
12 December 2018
A BAKERY company was fined for safety breaches after employees suffered long term exposure to flour dust, a respiratory sensitiser.
Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard that between April 2002 and April 2016 employees were consistently exposed to risks to their health, with some being medically diagnosed as suffering from occupational asthma.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there was no effective method of control to prevent the dust becoming airborne and employees being exposed to breathing in the dust.
Coopland & Son (Scarborough) Ltd. of Caxton Way, Pindar Business Park, Eastfield, Scarborough pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and has been fined £159,080 and ordered to pay £4,594 in costs
After the hearing, HSE inspector Geoff Fletcher commented, “Exposure to flour dust in an industrial setting can cause serious and debilitating health effects.
“Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards”
- Conference programme unveiled for SHW Live Manchester 2022
- Newsagent fined after two shoppers trip in two days
- Worker crushed at coal face
- Company fined after worker trapped by falling scrap lead
- Concerns asbestos regulations could be abolished
- 'Attitudes to driving are a litmus test for overall attitudes to safetyâ€
- SHE Awards 2023 Shortlist revealed
- Treasury extends tax cut to PPE costs
- Call for rapid sanitising technology for ambulances
- Six-figure fine after serious sewer incident