|Home>||Industry Update||>Company News||>Post Brexit: UK health and safety law?|
|Home>||Managing Health & Safety||>Standards||>Post Brexit: UK health and safety law?|
Post Brexit: UK health and safety law?
27 June 2016
The International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM) has issued the following statement following the UK's vote to leave the European Union.
The UK decision to leave the European Union has prompted the question of whether current EU regulations could be revoked immediately.
This is not the case. Many EU Health and Safety & Environmental directives have been transposed into UK Law so currently nothing changes until the UK government puts in place mechanisms for further deregulation. However, post Brexit, it is highly likely that the UK will have less influence in the development of further EU Law up to the time we leave the EU, which could be as long as two years.
Throughout the UK membership of the EU the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act (HASWA) has been in place and effective. Without doubt we should continue to apply our successful risk-based management systems. Many UK organisations will want to continue to work and trade within the EU and it will be in their interest to continue maintaining compliance. The UK has been a leader in influencing other EU nations and regulators in developing strong foundations for future health, safety and environmental laws.
IIRSM will continue to promote and actively support effective management of risk and the health, safety and environmental standards that provide protection and welfare standards of those they apply to.
- IIRSM welcomes its new president
- IIRSM Blog
- The winners of IIRSM’s Risk Excellence Awards 2018
- Connect with IIRSM
- European Conference on Operational Research in Rome, Italy, 2013.
- What is IIRSM bringing to the show?
- IIRSM Response to HSE Fatal Injury Stats 2012-13
- Live Events, Safety and Competence Conference
- Ensuring CDM Regs compliance
- HSE Chair calls for consultants to sign up to new benchmark register for health and safety
- Changes to construction site scaffolding regulations:Are you safe?
- Lessons in safety
- The Corporate Manslaughter Act: Why only 2 prosecutions after 4 years?
- Nationwide gets OHSAS 18001 accreditation
- New procedural guidelines at VdS
- Prevention is better than cure
- NQA prize winners
- Latest register of legislation