
![]() |
Mark Sennett
Managing Editor |
![]() |
Kelly Rose
Editor |
ARTICLE
News in brief
23 January 2013
The TUC's biennial survey of safety reps has found that almost half (49 per cent) of workplaces in the UK have never been visited by a health and safety inspector.
When the inspector doesn't call
The TUC's biennial survey of safety reps has found that almost half (49 per cent) of workplaces in the UK have never been visited by a health and safety inspector.
Expressing his concern at the findings, TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: “Knowing that an inspector is likely to visit is one of the key drivers to changing employers' behaviour and making the workplace safer and healthierâ€. See the full report at: www.tuc.org.uk.
Corporate Manslaughter case adjourned again
The UK's first Corporate Manslaughter case scheduled to begin on October 11 has been adjourned until January at the earliest because the company director due to stand trial is unwell.
Peter Eaton and his company Cotswold Geotechnical Holdings are being jointly prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service following the death of employee Alexander Wright in September 2008, who was killed when a trench he was collecting soil samples in collapsed. The case, which was due to be heard at Bristol Crown Court, had already been delayed from its original trial date in February 2010.
Online poll:
Last month's poll
In light of the HSE's budget cut is it foolhardy to expect a continuing downwards trend in accidents and fatalities?
A Yes, the cuts can only
have a negative impact
on workplace safety 35%
B No, not necessarily 48 %
C Not sure 17 %
Latest poll
Has your workplace ever received a health & safety inspection?
A Yes
B No
Vote now at: www.hsmsearch.com
The TUC's biennial survey of safety reps has found that almost half (49 per cent) of workplaces in the UK have never been visited by a health and safety inspector.
Expressing his concern at the findings, TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: “Knowing that an inspector is likely to visit is one of the key drivers to changing employers' behaviour and making the workplace safer and healthierâ€. See the full report at: www.tuc.org.uk.
Corporate Manslaughter case adjourned again
The UK's first Corporate Manslaughter case scheduled to begin on October 11 has been adjourned until January at the earliest because the company director due to stand trial is unwell.
Peter Eaton and his company Cotswold Geotechnical Holdings are being jointly prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service following the death of employee Alexander Wright in September 2008, who was killed when a trench he was collecting soil samples in collapsed. The case, which was due to be heard at Bristol Crown Court, had already been delayed from its original trial date in February 2010.
Online poll:
Last month's poll
In light of the HSE's budget cut is it foolhardy to expect a continuing downwards trend in accidents and fatalities?
A Yes, the cuts can only
have a negative impact
on workplace safety 35%
B No, not necessarily 48 %
C Not sure 17 %
Latest poll
Has your workplace ever received a health & safety inspection?
A Yes
B No
Vote now at: www.hsmsearch.com
MORE FROM THIS COMPANY
- Lyreco headline sponsor of SHE Awards 2020
- Construction charity backs HSE’s Working Minds campaign
- New guidance to protect workers in cold environments
- Company sentenced after crush death
- Roofer sentenced after breaching health and safety laws
- Construction worker killed by excavator
- BSIF's unprecedented number of PPE verification requests
- HSM Podcast - Episode 15
- Lessons I've learned
- Plan to get PPE where most needed
RELATED ARTICLES
- No related articles listed
OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS SECTION