Home >Pembrokeshire man sentenced after worker seriously injured
Pembrokeshire man sentenced after worker seriously injured
11 June 2018
A MAN has been sentenced to 18 weeks in prison after a worker received serious injuries from an electric shock.
Swansea Crown Court heard that, on 12 March 2014, Mr Hearne, under instruction from George Jones, sustained serious injuries whilst plugging a tyre stripping machine into a wall socket. The incident, which took place at Carew Cars, Carew Airfield, Pembrokeshire, could easily have led to a fatality.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the electrical installation at the unit in Carew Airfield operated by George Jones as part of his scrap metal business was unsafe and was more suited to a domestic premise. The socket in use was in poor condition with exposed wires. The roof of the building had holes in it and there was evidence of water ingress on the wall behind the socket which contributed to the incident.
George William Edward Jones of Strawberry Fields, Pembrokeshire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 4 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison to run concurrently with his existing sentence.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Anne Marie Orrells said: “This case highlights the importance of regular proactive maintenance and inspection of work equipment, including electrical installations, to ensure that they do not deteriorate to the extent that it puts people at risk.
“In this case, George Jones failed to effectively maintain equipment and it could have resulted in a fatal injury.”
- Able Safety headline sponsor of SHE Awards 2019
- Farmers urged to rethink risk
- Shipping company fined after HGV driver injured
- HSE checks Covid compliance in Bradford businesses
- Workers exposed to harmful chemicals
- Ex-director charged for exporting banned waste
- Air monitors in London hospitals
- £2M fine after 'reckless' polluting
- Construction company ignored welfare of workers
- Businesses urged to use mental health guidelines
- No related articles listed