Explosion at vehicle seat manufacturer injures worker
25 April 2016
A vehicle seat manufacturing company based in Ebbw Vale, has been fined after a worker was injured from an explosion.
Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how an operator at Sears Manufacturing Company (Europe) suffered burns to his head and hands.
Highly flammable release agent is used to prevent dispensed foam sticking to the seat mould.
It was during this process that the release agent ignited, causing an explosion which injured the operator.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident which occurred on 26 January 2015 found that a failure to have suitable control measures in place caused the release agent to ignite.
Sears Manufacturing Company (Europe) pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 5,6, and 9 of Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) and was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay costs of £12,010.