Home >Gas supplier fined after worker left seriously injured

Gas supplier fined after worker left seriously injured

23 August 2017

A beverage gas supply company has been fined after a gas cylinder exploded and left a worker with life-changing leg injuries.

Blackpool Magistrates’ Court heard how the employee of J & R Gases was filling mixed-gas cylinders, to be used for dispensing drinks in restaurants and pubs, by connecting the cylinders to a high-pressure filling system. During this process, one of the cylinders the employee was standing near exploded.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the work was not properly planned and there was a lack of thorough pre-fill checks of the cylinders. The injured worker had not received adequate training or instruction as to how to undertake robust pre-fill cylinder checks.

J & R Gases was found guilty of a breach of Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.The company has been fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £5,932 in costs.

Speaking after the trial, HSE inspector Steven Boyd said: “Robust pre-fill checks of high pressure cylinders should be undertaken before they are filled and workers must be informed of this. The injured worker should have received adequate training, instruction and supervision to be able to carry out their work safely but the company failed to fully do this. As a result of the company’s failings, a person has been left with life-changing injuries.”