|Home>||Managing Health & Safety||>Fleet & Driver Safety||>Commercial vehicle safety conference|
Commercial vehicle safety conference
11 December 2022
NATIONAL HIGHWAYS is to host a one-day national conference covering the key issues that commercial fleet operators should focus on to help reduce collisions involving their drivers and save lives on the roads.
The conference, titled ‘Commercial Vehicle Safety on the Strategic Road Network’, will be held at the National Space Centre in Leicester on 16 March 2023.
Topics to be covered during the day include:
- Lessons learnt from collision investigation
- What to do if first on the scene of a collision
- Driver fatigue, distraction and impairment
- Mental health issues, and how these can impact drivers
- Safety in practice – commercial vehicle operator experiences
While the event will naturally appeal to fleet managers, National Highways is encouraging anyone to attend who influences policy on commercial driver safety, including H&S and procurement managers.
Nick Harris, chief executive of National Highways said, “There is a shared responsibility for safety on our roads between National Highways, operators of commercial vehicles and, importantly, those responsible for the procurement of services involving the use of commercial vehicles.
“This responsibility demands recognition of everyone’s health and safety obligations: that driving is a high-risk activity, and that those risks are managed and minimized in the same way as onsite risks.
“Like all Health and Safety duties, this responsibility extends beyond the industry’s own commercial vehicle operation. Every operator should ensure its supply chain, contractors and suppliers are clear of its expectation that they operate safely and legally.”
- Employee fatally injured in forklift accident
- Union warning over zero-hours contract health risks
- Hospitality venues advised on outdoor installation safety
- Fireplace installers sentenced for illegal gas work
- Mayor launches lorry safety scheme
- HSM Digital Conference starts today
- Campaign to reduce farm vehicle accidents
- Fine after truck falls on employee during unloading
- HSE inspectors find unusable toilet
- Construction site operating procedures updated